Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Need to get rid of a few books?

I've decided that I need to get rid of some of the books that I've bought, but should get rid of. You notice I said SHOULD....because as you all know...it is difficult to part with books! I was frustrated because I like to donate the books, but want to give them to people that actually will read them. Many of my books are mysteries. I use to get these from the Library I worked at in the States, so I didn't have to buy them. But to keep reading them now, I have to purchase them. I tried to get a few friends interested in them, but that didn't really work. Then I tried to give them to my fav second hand shop, but they just didn't go very well. I guess they are just too American. So then I joined a couple online book exchanges. That has been a really good way to give them to people that actually want to read them. I keep thinking I'm going to join Bookcrossing, but I'm not sure about some of my mysteries that way. I will do that soon though.

So what exchanges do I do? Well the most successful has been Bookmooch. It is an international exchange, but you can decide not to send outside of your country if you wish. I've given away two books now and have been sent two books. There are a few I have missed and a few that wouldn't be sent to me because I'm out of the US. But that is ok. They also have a very active forum, to talk about books that are being offered or looked for. The things I like about it:
  • They use a point system. You get 1/10 of a point for listing a book and full points for both mooching and for being mooched from.
  • You can put your wishlist on the site. As people but books in their inventory, it will flag that you have it on your wishlist.
  • You are emailed and you can say whether you want to give the book, how long it might take you to send it, and you can email the person to find out if they are willing to send etc.
The other I do is UK only...Green Metropolis. I've not had quite as much luck with this one for books for myself, but of course I've not used the wishlist like I have for bookmooch...so that is my fault. I have given lots of books away though. With this one:
  • They use a money system, where you can keep a balance as you sell books so that you can then "purchase" them without actually spending any money! Love that!
  • The person you send the book to does not get your address. The return address is to Green Metropolis.
  • 5p from all books recycled they donate to the Woodland Trust. You can also chose to spend some of the money you get for your books to them also.
  • Their focus is on the recycling.
  • They are strict on when you send the item and how it is sent, but they give you three days...which is usually doable. You can tell the system when you will be on holiday so t hat you aren't notified during those times.
So try these two out if you want. Please leave me comments about any others that you know about. It doesn't hurt to have the books on a couple, as long as you remember to take them off when you have given them away!

8 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Dawn!

I've used both, Bookcrossing and Bookmooch and they are terrific for trading books and making new friends...like you, I'd recommend both very highly!

PBS or Paperbackswap is also very popular in the US. Unfortunately, we don't have it in Canada yet and I feel pretty certain they don't have it in the UK either, but I would say it's only a matter of time before they include our two countries as well!

Anonymous said...

I'm a diehard BookCrosser, so I definitely think you should join! You can always set up unofficial trades there too, a lot of people are open to trades and link to their wishlist, which you can match up to what you have. You can also gift someone with a book (this is termed a RABCK - Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness) if you're so inclined.

I've not used any of the booktrading sites, but LibraryThing has a listing of several - I'm not sure which ones are available in the UK:

http://www.librarything.com/work-swap/8110

Unknown said...

thanks for the link to Green Metropolis - will give it a go :)

Anonymous said...

A good site that I'm a big fan of in the UK is www.readitswapit.co.uk - this way, whenever you send a book, you get a book back! Swaps don't always work out, as you both have to agree that you want one of the other people's books, but I've got rid of loads of books this way (and gained quite a few more TBR)...

valentina said...

You should definitely join Bookcrossing!it's a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Green Metropolis sounds great. I'm a Bookcrosser and think its a great idea, it works on many different levels, which is the best thing about it. Its the greatest fun when you leave a book somewhere and it travels (My favourite is when I left a copy of Behind the scenes at the Museum at the Museum in Edinburgh and it travelled to Australia!!)

Special K said...

A few other organizations that have (ehem) desperate readers are prisons and hospitals. In the states there are quite a few programs that collect books and distribute them to prisoners - there might be a similar thing in the UK?