So what exchanges do I do? Well the most successful has been Bookmooch. It is an international exchange, but you can decide not to send outside of your country if you wish. I've given away two books now and have been sent two books. There are a few I have missed and a few that wouldn't be sent to me because I'm out of the US. But that is ok. They also have a very active forum, to talk about books that are being offered or looked for. The things I like about it:
- They use a point system. You get 1/10 of a point for listing a book and full points for both mooching and for being mooched from.
- You can put your wishlist on the site. As people but books in their inventory, it will flag that you have it on your wishlist.
- You are emailed and you can say whether you want to give the book, how long it might take you to send it, and you can email the person to find out if they are willing to send etc.
- They use a money system, where you can keep a balance as you sell books so that you can then "purchase" them without actually spending any money! Love that!
- The person you send the book to does not get your address. The return address is to Green Metropolis.
- 5p from all books recycled they donate to the Woodland Trust. You can also chose to spend some of the money you get for your books to them also.
- Their focus is on the recycling.
- They are strict on when you send the item and how it is sent, but they give you three days...which is usually doable. You can tell the system when you will be on holiday so t hat you aren't notified during those times.