Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So what is beside YOUR bed?

Sorry this isn't that great a picture, I should have used the flash. This is what is next to my bed to read at the moment. Yes, I did clean up the dirty clothes and tissues...but you don' t want to see the TRUE mess? Right so I'm currently reading...of course Harry Potter. Well.....I didn't want everyone to know what happened and let it slip. Underneath that is Martha Grahams biography by Agnes DeMille which is very good. I don't know much about modern dance, nor do I watch it much. But I love to read about people who are originators and she definitely was! It is a really big book, but I'm enjoying it. I also picked up "Don't you have time to think?" letter written by Richard Feynman. He is one of the best science writers I've ever read. In the past I have read his autobiography and have listened to some of his more technical books on tape. They are so fascinating and I just love hearing or reading about science from someone who loves the topic so much. I mean...this man was learning how to pick locks while he was also helping to build the Atomic Bomb. (Just for the record, he like most on scientist on the team regretted their part in how that was used and campaigned against its use.) You would have thought that he would have been using his brain enough for the real work he was doing, not to be fooling around with locks.

So under that is the Literary Review. I really enjoy reading this. It is like Slightly Foxed, in that you get a good idea of what is out there to read. A lot of times I don't need, or wouldn't read the whole book...but I find the reviews so interesting! Under Slightly Foxed is a new knitting book I bought and next to it is the new Workbasket that came in. Can't forget the crafts.

The last two books have been really setting me alight learning. They are both books by the assassinated Russian Journalist Anna Politkovskaya. I wanted to read the book that was published shortly after (or before) she was killed, but then I found that she had written two others that they had in, so I didn't buy "A Dirty War: a Russian Reporter in Chechnya." I've started with "Putin's Russia". Then of course I couldn't leave it there, so at work I've got a couple books about Russia history in the last decade and also about Politics since Stalin, just to kind of help me. So....what is beside your bed? Leave a link in the comments so everyone can see!

3 comments:

tanabata said...

My husband recently read Putin's Russia and found it a bit disconcerting. He's got another one of hers on the pile. He's been reading quite a bit about Russia and China lately and learning some scary stuff.

Crafty Green Poet said...

The only book next to my bed is the Bedside book of Birds - a miscellany of writings and art about birds. The true pile of books is next to my armchair in the living room...

Special K said...

great picture! I was just thinking of doing something like that on my blog and encouraging my friends to do the same - thanks for reminding me to get on that!